Fluoride Treatment for Children & Adults in Morton Grove
Fluoride is NOT only for children..there is also a great benefit for adults too! The fight against tooth decay and sensitive teeth.
Fluoride is used as a protectant for your teeth to help fight against cavities for several months.
Fluoride Reverses Early Tooth Decay
Why Fluoride Treatment for Adults?
Throughout our lives, we damage our teeth. It is inevitable, no matter how much care we take with our dental hygiene. Teeth get chipped, braces leave gaps, and all that coffee, wine, and sweet desserts will weaken the enamel defenses. This is why we need to take steps to keep our teeth healthy.
- Many prescription medications reduce saliva flow or otherwise create dry mouth. A reduction in saliva increases cavity risk.
- Adults often experience gum recession, which exposes part of the root surface of teeth. These areas are softer than the hard enamel at the top of the tooth, which makes them more susceptible to decay. Root decay is the big problem for adults over 50 years of age. It undermines the tooth, and if left unchecked, expensive treatment is the only option to relieve the resultant chronic pain. A fluoride treatment will attack the bacteria causing the decay, slowing its progress and in many cases actually reversing the process. In addition, adults often get restorative work such as crowns or bridges. Fluoride can help protect the margins of these restorations, ultimately protecting your investment.
- Orthodontic treatment (braces) as adults. Braces make it more challenging for patients to maintain good oral hygiene. Fluoride can keep the teeth strong and cavity-free even with the obstacle of orthodontic appliances.
- Have you had a restoration done within the last year due to new decay? If you have, that puts you at a higher risk for cavities. Fluoride treatments in Morton Grove are a great way to prevent more cavities in patients who are already prone to them.
- How is that flossing coming along? You know you should floss daily, but do you? If your oral hygiene is not ideal, fluoride could be just the thing to keep your neglect from leading to cavities between your teeth.
- Fluoride can also help with the growing problem of sensitive teeth. Diets high in acidic foods and beverages, general gum recession, and increased use of whitening products all tend to produce sensitive teeth. Fluoride treatments re-mineralize tooth enamel and reduce that sensitivity.
- Patients who undergo radiation treatment for cancer also benefit from topical fluoride applications. Radiation damages saliva glands, thus greatly reducing the flow of saliva. Saliva acts as a buffer against the foods we eat and beverages we drink. Once again, less saliva greatly increases the risk of cavities.
If one or more of these conditions applies to you, consider requesting a topical fluoride treatment in Morton Grove. Be sure to ask our hygienist at your next cleaning appointment whether you might benefit from a topical fluoride application.